Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Rudai seventeen : Reflective Practice



A few thoughts on the course

I started this course so that while I was unemployed I wouldn't be wasting my time. I would be helping out with this and learning new things. Learning about online tools was something I had fallen way behind in. A lot of the examples covered I had thought were just for teenagers or were different forms of Facebook. I now know better. This course isn't just about learning new things however.

I never liked the reflective practice part of modules on the MLIS but they generally counted for a good part of the marking scheme so I got on with it. I found the Gibbs cycle quite difficult to get a grip on as it seemed to be based on a emotional connection and I am more rational.  

The fact is too I still don't particularly like writing and reflective writing especially. If its a report that's fine I can do a good job of that as it generally deals with facts, describing problems, suggesting solutions, etc. 

The Gibbs cycle is a very academic approach to evaluating situations and skills and I don't know if its appropriate in a workplace. An emotional interaction may be important for a module in university but I think the similar STAR (situation, task, action, result) method would be more appropriate for a professional workplace. The two parts of Gibbs that I personally disagree with are "feelings" and "evaluation". I think ones feelings for a task does not matter so long as it is done to the best of your ability. When using either Gibbs or STAR a personal work diary is essential and should be kept by everybody.

Where these methods come into their own is in job interviews or personnel evaluation. I don't think that managers or employers are interested in how staff felt or how the experienced the task. Whichever method is chosen being able to describe a problem or project at work is the first step. The next step is to describe the task at hand. That is what the project entails, how many stages there will be, etc. The action plan or how the project was completed and your role in it. Finally describing the result did your actions work? 

It is important to remember to emphasise YOUR role in the project or task. 

I think being concise and factual in recording your work makes it easier to remember for reference to combat similar problems that may occur in the workplace in the future.









No comments:

Post a Comment