Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Rudai Fourteen : Augmented Reality




Remember when things were just.. things?



First impressions


I was at a seminar a couple of years ago and the topic of augmented reality was explained by one of the speakers. They were very enthusiastic and excited about it which was to be expected as it was their project. I was left unimpressed.  I still am. At the time I had a old battered old phone but it had a great battery life and signal but no apps. So this new technology immediately excluded me form participating.  Which I think is a big drawback for this technology. The devices to use this have to be up to date. 

The reason why I was unimpressed was that they just seemed like a new form of QR codes. The thing about QR codes for me was that I have never seen anyone scan them even though they were everywhere! I eventually managed to try and scan a sample poster with the extra embedded information at the seminar with a borrowed iphone but found that it wasn't anything a simple google search wouldn't have found for me. I also asked myself did I need the extra information such as games, pictures, and videos? When is there information overload?



Changing behavior 


The photo at the beginning of the post actually made quite depressed. The person aiming their tablet at a painting to get more information. Can they not just look and enjoy it. Interpret the meaning for themselves instead of trying to read up on more information. Just enjoy the pretty pictures! Museums are places where you can switch off and enjoy exhibits without the noise of technology. In other words be a bit old fashioned. Is this on the way out do we now always have to be on?





Opinion on AR


I read the articles recommended in the post such as educational and mobile learning website. I thought some of the apps were more like gaming tools. Looking at others I felt they were going to be used at some stage to sell people stuff or advertise products Here's information on Big Ben sponsored by : insert a Fast Food Chain/Insurance Company/Phone Company. This saturation of advertising already annoys me on other online media. I felt that some seemed to be created with the (thankfully) failed google glass in mind. 


I also read the other recommended article library of the future. Of the eight technologies two and four were augmented technology. The little video I thought showed the main thing I distrust about this technology. The man walks in to his library takes out his tablet and scans the shelves and finds his book. Yet the article about libraries 2020 says 18% of EU citizens have not been online. How many have smart phones or tablets? even more?


I do agree with Naimh that its a good way to introduce children to technology and it is important that they start young to get to grips with the quickly changing world. Its good too that parents keep abreast of developments and this technology is a good simple way to ease in it. I can see too that it makes posters a bit different and more fun. 

Number four in the above article however might convert me to AR. Combining the print and digital technology with accompanying extra data. I thought this would a fantastic piece of kit for any library with a research section as it takes the cost away for the patron. 

As might have guessed I'm not the biggest fan of AR I think it can add expense to the patron, can be excluding, and I think may in future be may used as another channel of advertising for corporations. 








No comments:

Post a Comment