Saturday, August 22, 2015

Rudai : Ten

Streaming



I found this task very challenging and while reading the entry on Rudai 23 home page I noticed my eyes beginning to glaze over about two thirds of the way down the page.  There was a lot going on and lots of information it took several readings to make sense. Sorry Wayne! It was definitely me, as technology and I tend to take time to trust each other. 

I'm not the biggest fan of hangouts as they tend to log me out of my Skype account which I can never remember my password for. Hangouts-on-Air do seem very complicated to set up needing a bit more equipment than normal. So I might give them a miss until I have to. 

I do like the idea of streaming an event though.  I have watched a couple of webinars this year and liked the fact that I didn't have to travel to Dublin to attend them. Though the lack of interaction was a problem as not everyone was thinking the same as me and didn't ask the question I really wanted to ask. So the invitation to participate is great. 

The big drawback is the need for a secure and reliable internet connection with a large data allowance. Here in the midlands unless I go to a hotel I wouldn't have it. Three or Four Skype chats for an hour each generally eat up most of my data. Having a full blown conversation on a laptop in a hotel lobby would only attract rightly negative attention and be inappropriate. 

I read up on Periscope and it seems to have caught on really quickly 10 million users or something in a few months. It is very controversial though as people have used it to upload pay for view TV programs such as Game of Thrones and sporting events. I looked at some streams and most seemed to be of walls, feet and pavement! But it can be really simple way of broadcasting events in libraries such as award days (the reading challenge coming up shortly). It would be nice to have the concerts sometimes held here or lessons such the knitting classes be streamed and recorded. 

The big barrier to streaming from library events I would image would be confidentiality and privacy. Would legal issues be easy to remedy? 

  






No comments:

Post a Comment