Friday, August 28, 2015

Rudai Twelve : Attending Conferences




Attending conferences and seminars


I try and attend as many library events as I can every year. Its very difficult most of the time as funds are generally short, the seminar or conference is in Dublin (and the Dubs don't like leaving the city so outside events can be poorly attended) which means travel and accommodation have to be sourced. These events aren't cheap, tickets can be quite expensive even with the discounts that are usually offered. A cheaper way to take in conferences is to go for a single day. 

This year I managed to get to several seminars and one conference through work funded training. I attended the WRSLAI seminar in Gort, the CDG seminar, DBS seminar and the HSLG conference in Athlone. 

The networking opportunities are great and rare chances that need to grabbed. This year I met people I had only discussed business with over the phone. It was easier to get a feel for the person who I was dealing with in a face to face meeting in a relaxed setting. I also got to meet and share ideas and discuss problems and solutions with other professionals who had similar experiences. As well meeting up with acquaintances and old co-workers for a catch up over cups of tea.

They can be intimidating if attending on your own as sometimes it can feel like a clique and breaking into it can be difficult. I usually try to chat to people I don't know to see what they are doing or where they're working. If I go with someone then we tend to break up and circle the room and meet up after or get introduced to other people if we're finding it difficult to break the ice with people. 

I always try to take a notebook to write down people names (a while after I talked to them!)   and to take down the main points from the speeches and talks. The advice about the business card is correct I've never though about it always thinking they went out in the 90s or were for salesmen. But I'm pretty sure I'm not that memorable and as all contracts seem to short time I'm nearly always looking for work so I will carry a few from now on. 

The downside to conferences is sometimes there is a lack of relevance to your own work in some of the speeches. Sometimes the lectures can be overly academic and the research can be overstated and simple ideas can be made complicated.

The first seminar I attended this year was the CDG information skills for the future. It was in the long room hub in TCD and everyone got an Easter egg on entering the building. The keynote speaker gave a very interesting speech on how libraries and librarians current roles are evolving. Leadership and being a connector to information are now the librarians role while the survival of libraries is based on building content and relevant, unique collections. Over the next two hours the speakers told how important it is for staff to have the chance for CPD. The varied careers that are out there for librarians. The last speaker of the session however made the point that none of us will have the same role for life. That our careers and roles in organisations will continue to change every 5 years or so. Which seems quite scary to me. 

The second session was about the library space and how its changing. The final speaker stood out for me. Taking about the creation of the DLR lexicon. Personally I think from the outside its an ugly monstrosity that will age horrendously. On the inside it is a large community space which seems to meet everyone's needs. It was interesting to hear the story of their career path as it didn't follow the traditional route but instead went from public and private and back to public sector. It was also good to hear from a high management level as their take on libraries is different form those of us lower down the ladder. 

Overall it was a productive day I met people who I have since been in contact with over other things. The talk were informative. And the lunch was tasty!






No comments:

Post a Comment