Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Rudai eight : Curation tools

Pretty Pictures


I heard of curation tools but never used them before now. The first tool I tried was Pintrest. It seems strange to have something made up almost entirely of graphics and pictures. Its very visual and pretty. I can see the use if your building or converting room space and want design ideas. There is lots of ideas for colour schemes and shelving and furniture. 

I use it now for reading materials I can put together lists of books that I saw reviewed and can get an image of their cover so I can recognise them.  

But other than images there is not a lot else there. Some context maybe missing as there is few accompanying words.

anyway I had a go and created a few boards of my interests




Visit Emmet's profile on Pinterest.







I had a go at flipboard too. I liked this though I had some trouble setting up my magazine as the articles I had "flipped" never appeared till I had logged out and in again. I think this is very useful as it can be used to collate notes and interesting articles for projects or about an area for public libraries. It also is very visual with large pictures and lots of images that link to the article. There is a large amount of library related articles for professionals on a range of topics library design and nation library collections. I had a go at creating a magazine and just flipped some articles that piqued my interest that I'll come back too.


View my Flipboard Magazine.




The only one of the tools discussed I had some experience with was the last one. I've read some Storify pages after some missed libchats. I've found them a great way to have followed a discussion or debate. As often what appears in my feed is only half of the story. 

I enjoyed learning how to use these tools. I'll definitely be using them again for any course I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment