Sunday, July 26, 2015

Rudaí four : Google

Google Apps

My first experience with google is through its gmail service. I set up what was originally intended as junk email account, something to have when I download new software or get asked to give my email when signing up for a loyalty card that kind of thing. I didn't even have my name attached to it. It has however, become something of a library email since. All my library related online interaction now comes through here. My twitter account and the updates to the blogs I follow are connected to this account. I have because of this course put my real name to it as I would all other part of google and social media it would only make things confusing with people looking for James C and getting an Emmet K.

The only other app I tried until recently was google maps. Which I didn't really like. I was trying to get to the marine institute for the first time and google maps directed me to Loughrea and no further. This is about 25 miles short. This wasn't the only time it directed me incorrectly. It also led me into a run down housing estate with a few burnt out houses when I was looking for an opticians. so i tend to steer clear of it.



Google+ I thought was gone ages ago. But I recently rediscovered my profile after having a chat online with a guy form Whatcar magazine and it really is very good. Its probably better than Facebook as it can be integrated with blogger and the like. but the stats that @clarebrarian put up on her blog http://clarebrarian.com/ its future doesn't look bright. Which is a shame as I think it could be a better alternative for building a professional profile or using it for course work or classes if your a student. I have way to many personal contacts on other platforms so I would like to keep them separate. I don't want pictures of my nephews mixing up with my comments on MLIS Facebook page.

I discovered for this course the joy of google drive. 15 GB of storage! I have been caught loads of times with either a full USB stick or with none so its great to have somewhere to store things. I see that lots of colleges are now using this to give assignments and as a digital drop box. I can really see the benefits for the work environment.  

I have just used Hangouts. I have to say I'm not that impressed. It was quite awkward to set up and failed a number of times before it worked. The quality of the voice and picture wasn't great either, problems I don't find with Skype.   
It does seem as if google are dominating the online social tools. They haven't succeeded with Google+ coming up against Facebook, will they take away people from Skype? It is very convenient to have a one stop shop email, online conferencing, drive etc. 



No comments:

Post a Comment