Friday, July 31, 2015

Rudai seven : Podcasts

Podcasts and Curry


Podcasts


I never listened to podcasts until lately for Rudaí 23. As Mary Murray said on her blog peoples attention span may be shorter. I found that I can't listen to things for longer than 20/30 minutes without getting a bit bored. I find it easier to read about things. 

I guess what annoys me about some podcasts is the banter. If there is more than one host there is often a fake contrived feel about the interaction between them. They can have a radio disk jockey style of presenting. 

Many of the podcasts relating to library issues are American based. Which is fair enough they're the ones making them. I did like listening to the recommended podcasts especially longform. 

I do find as with a lot of digital media and online productions there are quite isolating and are not as inclusive as they are made to be. To listen to a podcast or use some new media you have to live in a boardband area. People have to have a smart phone with enough power to listen to them as well as download them. Someone on their blog mentioned that podcast may be already out of date! The speed of which this technology changes is further discriminating against smaller communities and poorer people who can't effort to keep up with the technological advancement. How does the library help these people who are being left behind? 

Podcasting




I had trouble coming up with a topic on what to talk about for this task. I don't feel knowledgeable enough to be discussing library related issues. While I try to keep myself informed on whats happening in our profession I don't feel comfortable being recorded speaking on these topics. 

So for my first podcast I decided to record myself something I'm familiar with, which recording my recipe for curry. Its not that I can cook its just something I can do in my sleep as I make it a lot and people seem to like it. The photo above is the spice mix I used.

I recorded myself using a digital recorder and then used audacity to edit it. Audacity is a really good and easy to use piece of software. I used it before when I did my post grad in UCD for the media production module. I was going to be very fancy and add opening and closing music but that would involve copyright. I did find a copyright free music website but didn't really like the selection.   http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/

The sound of my voice was hardest thing to get used to. I didn't realise that it was so accented. I also found trying to pace my speaking was extremely difficult. I am Irish so I find we tend to speak quite fast, so was I speaking too fast or in slowing down was I too slow?











I used soundcloud to host my recording and it was a very simple process. I just logged on and uploaded the recording, uploaded a cover photo. Anyway here it is and hopefully nobody will listen....





No comments:

Post a Comment