Friday, July 24, 2015

Rudaí three : Developing your Professional Brand

Linkedin and all that


Developing a professional brand is not something I ever seriously thought about. I never thought about how I come across online as I only used linkedin as a place for my cv and even then it wasn't very good. I used both facebook and twitter as a way of social networking and keeping in touch with friends and family. 

The googling of my name in incognito mode was an interesting exercise. As I found there was another Emmet Keoghan who put up lots of stuff like videos of him having a good time. Thankfully he is a bit younger than me so there should be no confusion for potential employers! 

My photo is the bane of any of my profiles. I don't like any of my photos and never have. The one I use for my facebook profile is the Emmet Lego character. On twitter I do have a photo of myself taken in the Guinness storehouse and its the only photograph where I'm smiling. On linkedin I used to used to have black and white photo taken as part of the media production module in the MLIS. I was told I looked like an author picture on the back of a novel. But it was out of date and replaced it with the current one. I was criticised here as being to serious looking! So whats a good photo? All mine seem to be one of the eight mistakes! I thought serious would be the way to go for a CV as I don't want to look to frivolous but maybe not. 

I am a member of 16 groups on linkedin some of which I dont know why I joined but others I have got some great use of especially the government libraries group and the public libraries group. I have gotten involved in discussions and debates and have got recognised at some seminars for them. which may or may not be a good thing. It certainly means I should be careful of what I post. 

I have 166 connections which are based on my classmates on the MLIS and people I worked with. 

I have recognised some pretty big weakness in my profile here in that I don't have a summery, my headline is weak and I don't have any recommendations. This last one is hard to get as none of supervisors are on linkedin!

So it looks like I'm going to be busy for the next while...





No comments:

Post a Comment