Friday, July 10, 2015

Rudaí two : Writing your first post

Why I became a librarian

I wanted to work in a library since I was a kid and be surrounded by books, as my job. 

I got into librarianship because like books, there I said it! and now I'll never get another job after saying that. Ever! Librarians can't admit that now anymore. Not really or at least that’s not the full story 
I became a Librarian because its a job I thought I would be good at. I like working with people, I like studying, and I'm organised in an everything in its place kind of way.

Originally all I wanted was to work in a library but after I got a job as a temporary branch librarian and then as a library assistant I realised I wanted to go further. 

Around this time I read an article bout a women who started as a library assistant but did the course part time from Aberystwyth and became an assistant librarian! But the cost of the distance learning was massively prohibitive and with my job ending in the library I decided to go the UCD route and do the Grad dip on a part time basis.

The course made me look at what a librarian was again they are not just guardians of knowledge or keeper of the stacks. We don’t just stamp books or even just order books. Though a fair few of do wear glasses and comfortable shoes. 
One module really stood out was the "Teaching librarian". It never occurred to me that librarians can and do run courses, especially literacy and information searching. 

I am qualified four years now and I can say that the career is very varied and no day or indeed no work place I have either worked or interned in is the same. So far it’s been massively enjoyable. 

Some days I think its a dying profession but overall I think the role will continue to evolve and change even mutate into a very different animal thats what it was and is still perceived to be in some quarters. The most important thing is to get involved and be with our association and be a significant part your community. 

I wouldn't recommend it for everyone but I think its been a blast so far.



No comments:

Post a Comment